Dec 12, 2007

Donald Miller

I'm reading a book called Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller and it's challenging my very way of thinking about every day life. I'm realizing how unbelievably and unnecessarily complicated I make things. It's as though reading this account of a trip from Houston to Oregon is showing me the daily grind that I find myself in is no less a journey than an extended road trip. God is revealing Himself in small things where so often I gloss over them without so much a passing notice. I've been in deep contact with my thoughts and am loving it. Last year while working at the Youth Ranch I read Blue Like Jazz, also by Donald Miller, which similarly found me where I was and helped me to process new and unexpected times. I appreciate how he writes and the level of honesty in which he approaches each sentence.

1 comment:

Dana Marie said...

everyone keeps telling me to read Blue Like Jazz... I borrowed it from a friend last year (still have it, oops?!) but never made it past the first chapter. something about his writing style... I don't know. I'll have to try it again! assuming the holidays slow down soon, I'll check this other one out too!