So I've been riding my bike to work for the past few days. I have always liked riding my bike, it's fun and makes me feel good about myself. I enjoy the exercise, too. And now, it's saving me some change by not having to put as much gas in my car. Earth day was here a few weeks ago, and we were all encouraged to do our part to make things a little better. So for all the above reasons, I've been riding the ole' bicycle to work in the mornings. But I have become a little miffed about the fact that the vast majority of drivers don't seem to notice us nice people peddling along beside them. My dad always told me as I learned to ride my bike that you just can't assume that drivers will see you, you have to do the thinking for them, and assume most of the time that they won't notice you. He's never been more right. In the past two days in my 20 minute ride to work I've had to be the brain for 6 different people who would have certainly made a pancake of my mountain bike had I not noticed the fact that they don't pay attention to anything besides the radio and their cell phone. Now I will confess that I've had times when I didn't notice things while driving and felt like a total idiot, but now more than ever I am calling all us drivers to do folks the common courtesy of merely glancing to the right and left before pulling out onto a street. Most people just blaze out trying to get ahead of traffic. So please, all you nice folks who might come across this post, join me in my quest not only to ride my bike, but to not run over bikers when I'm driving. It only takes a mere glance, a slight tilt of the head, or even a slight shift of the eyeball to see if there's some nice bike rider hoping you notice them and don't flatten their bike. They just want to get to work like the next guy. Thanks for humoring me, and allowing me to vent my frustrations about the 6 mindless drivers who almost gave me a car-to-bike hug the last few days.
May 7, 2008
Just doing my part, trying to save a buck, getting in shape, & dodging cars in the process
So I've been riding my bike to work for the past few days. I have always liked riding my bike, it's fun and makes me feel good about myself. I enjoy the exercise, too. And now, it's saving me some change by not having to put as much gas in my car. Earth day was here a few weeks ago, and we were all encouraged to do our part to make things a little better. So for all the above reasons, I've been riding the ole' bicycle to work in the mornings. But I have become a little miffed about the fact that the vast majority of drivers don't seem to notice us nice people peddling along beside them. My dad always told me as I learned to ride my bike that you just can't assume that drivers will see you, you have to do the thinking for them, and assume most of the time that they won't notice you. He's never been more right. In the past two days in my 20 minute ride to work I've had to be the brain for 6 different people who would have certainly made a pancake of my mountain bike had I not noticed the fact that they don't pay attention to anything besides the radio and their cell phone. Now I will confess that I've had times when I didn't notice things while driving and felt like a total idiot, but now more than ever I am calling all us drivers to do folks the common courtesy of merely glancing to the right and left before pulling out onto a street. Most people just blaze out trying to get ahead of traffic. So please, all you nice folks who might come across this post, join me in my quest not only to ride my bike, but to not run over bikers when I'm driving. It only takes a mere glance, a slight tilt of the head, or even a slight shift of the eyeball to see if there's some nice bike rider hoping you notice them and don't flatten their bike. They just want to get to work like the next guy. Thanks for humoring me, and allowing me to vent my frustrations about the 6 mindless drivers who almost gave me a car-to-bike hug the last few days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Please, please, always wear your helmet.
I'm sure you do, but I just have to say it. And I think it's great that you've been riding your bike to work!
~Angela
It is a dangerous world out there! There is a tremendous lack of caring and carefulness. Is that a word? Remember when Dwight and I got creamed by the guy who turned right on red, but never looked?? It could have been so much worse! Maybe it'll be better on west - ha!
I also recall him telling us to give bicyclists LOTS of room when you pass them. I try to do this...when I see them. I find that I don't notice as much when I'm texting while driving.
Julie
Luke, thanks for the comment. I did read on Sherry's blog that you guys would be moving to the Seattle area soon. I hope you'll really like it! I've only been in Seattle once, for about two days, but I'll speak for my part of the northwest and say it's been great. It looks like Olympia would be about 3.5 to 4 hours north of Corvallis (depending on traffic between here and Portland).
When you get there, be sure to check out Discovery Park in Seattle some time. It's a great place to walk and view the Sound. But I'm sure you'll have lots of nice parks in Olympia as well, with all the inlets.
Congratulations on number 3 on the way, too! :-)
Post a Comment