Apr 25, 2008

Strength in Community

My mind is racing after the day I had at school. We have a new student that has lived here in the US for only a week, and today was her first day. She speaks little to no English, and her circumstances leading up to where she is today are absolutely unbelievable. She is dealing with some things that I can't imagine. We'll see what the next few weeks hold for her and how she learns to deal with a new environment where there's nothing familiar, not even family. I have learned more Spanish than I've ever known, but came face to face with the reality that I am in no way able to communicate in the way I wish I could with this young kid facing huge unknown giants. I wish I could help her more. The amazing reality I came to today is the power of community, especially when the community is facing challenges. This new girl got connected with some students who can speak to her easily, and communicate the things she needs to know to begin to understand an American school being surrounded by a bunch of white kids. It was powerful to be able to ask another student if they'd help me out to explain something to her. Everyone is more than willing to help, because they understand the challenges she's facing. They've been there. They're still there, only with more tools to get by.

I was proud of the students I get to work with today, because they showed me up in caring for someone in need. They have what she needs, and also have the patience to help me learn as well. In the end I felt almost as lost as she must feel in not knowing the words to say or how to let her know I want to help. It reminded me of times where I felt so lost and out of place, but out of the blue sometimes God would drop some sort of small reminder to let me know I wasn't alone and that He's still just as present as ever. I am so thankful for those times when a brother or sister in Christ will lift me up in a time of need. I pray I can be that person for others. I pray I can be there to interpret for someone who just can't understand why life is so hard and why they can't see God.

Isn't that what we ought to be for each other? God forgive me for when I fail to speak up when I have a needed voice. Thank you for when others do so for me.

2 comments:

KarenK said...

Beautifully said, Luke. Thank you.

Dawn said...

I am so proud of you for so many reasons! Even though we haven't seen you much, we'll miss knowing you are just over there west of us! But what a great adventure you have coming.