Dec 18, 2006

Here's to you kid portrait photographers of the world


I feel bad for those poor folks who have to take pictures of young kids for parents who come in with great aspirations of beautiful pictures of their perfect kids. We went in today and our daughter was off the wall. She was afraid, crying, and clingling to us. Then there was our 2 month old son who just laid there happy as ever. So to humor us she starts taking pictures of Silas hoping to intice Brek to hop on in. 10 minutes later the wife is sitting under the backdrop sheet trying to hold them. Brek looked at the lady a few times but by then Silas was sick of it and scowling and crying. The lady didn't even pretend to be patient. She sighed over and over and rolled her eyes constantly. I don't think it helped either that today was the last day to take pictures if you wanted to have them back before Christmas. Of course we're sitting there apologizing and telling her of course our kids are never usually like this.

Riiiiight. Not like every parent with their crazy kids not sitting still has tried to sell that one, too. So we looked at the few pictures she tried to take and there was no way for her to even pretend like some of them were good. It was hilarious. She was like, "Well.... maybe you could reschedule and come back another time." No attempt to even remotely sugar coat it at all.

So we took about a 15 minute break and tried again with another photographer. After another fiasco with the same stupid baby sounds and props to make them laugh, we got one decent picture. I hope that those people make some good money, because they sure didn't earn it today with our cupon for a $8.95 picture package.

5 comments:

Anna said...

You make me laugh, Lucas. I would have loved to see that. ;) I hope that picture is worth all of its $8.95.

Merry Christmas, Duerre family.

beau carlson said...

Well, I guess poorly behaving children reflect directly upon the parents raising them. Hmm. Oh well, you're good at other things, like shooting three-pointers left-handed and stuff. Man, I feel real bad making fun of my own family like that- sister, bro, niece, and nephew. I'm a bad uncle, I just have to come to grips with that.

KarenK said...

that is the very reason why I haven't taken the kids to a photographer in TWO YEARS. It's such a nightmare.

Dawn said...

This is so hilarious. Some of my worst memories are of this scenario - and now into the second generation. Children photographers ought NOT to roll their eyes and act frustrated. I'm sure they don't get paid nearly enough!!

Kristen said...

All the money in the world would not entice me to be a photographer of young children. Two years ago, I got all three of mine dressed in coordinating clothes, hair curled and combed nicely, fancy shoes....the whole nine yards. After 45 minutes of pure torture, we had to throw in the towel and re-schedule. Trying to get all three kids to sit still, smile and look at the photographer all at the same time? Riiiiight! So, you are not alone in your agony.