Dec 8, 2006

My leg or the boat?

I've started to help out with the youth group at our church recently. I'm excited to be back into the Wednesday night youth meeting setting. My assigned task is to be a small group leader for the 6th grade boys. They kept telling me that these boys are a handful and as a youth staff they're still trying to find the best way to work with them. But I'm up for the challenge and have gone for a few weeks now. The first night was game night and we just played dodgeball. It was 6th graders vs. the world and we owned the gym. Well, not really, but I did manage to take a crippling hit to the bid'ness. It hurt. This week we were talking about worry and what Jesus said in Matthew 6. I thought I was doing well, really getting these guys to think about stuff and stay on task a little bit. This one kid just out of the blue was like, "Hey I have a question!" "Right on, man," I say, "Let's hear it!" He says in all seriousness: "If you were stuck on a desert island, would you eat your leg or your boat first?"

Maybe I'm not challenging these guys enough. When I was in Loveland one of my guys was lamenting over the fact he couldn't find a job that provided good benefits. I was confused about why a 15 year old kid would need a job with benefits. So I sarcastically asked if he was looking for some good dental or a health plan... to which he responded, "No, I want a job where I can get free rentals or free food while I'm working."

Perhaps I'm losing the teenage perspective. You can't even eat a boat, unless it was made of cheese or something.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I love this, Luke. I'm glad you are back working with youth, where you do so well!

Anna said...

I have to admit: I'm pretty jealous of those boys who get to see you every week. I hope they realize that they're the lucky ones.

As for your "losing the teen perspective," I doubt that is what is happening. Possibly just a little...rusty?

kevinc said...

what's up blog dog?

Nova706 said...

If you have a boat,then how are you stranded? :)