Aug 16, 2008

Former Golden Bell Staff Guide to Drying Clothes

This post is for all of you former Golden Bell Camp staff out there who might find yourself in the predicament of having your dryer go out.  Don't stress, folks, it'll be alright.  I'll guide you through it.  First, what you need to do is think to yourself, "Mmmm, what do I have around the house that could be used as a clothesline?"  You'll soon realize that you have two really long pieces of webbing that you bought from REI while inthralled with the finer arts of climbing, rappelling, and slacklining.  So all you need to do is grab these seldom-used pieces of webbing and find yourself a nice place outside to tie them up.  I find that using some string, cable, or carabiners work well for tying up your webbing clothesline (Side note: If you don't have webbing, I've found that a dog chain will work in a pinch, too).  You might soon wonder which of your many climbing knots you had to memorize to use for fastening the webbing to the tree, house, or fence.  You can't go wrong with the waterknot, staff.  Ask yourself, "What would Kent McLhny do?  The waterknot is the obvious choice.  Your last step is just simply make it happen.  Hang those clothes, guys, hang those clothes.  Who needs a dryer, anyway?  Not when you're a former Golden Beller.   

7 comments:

Coe said...

How creative!

jls said...

Way to go. You just never quit using the skills you get at Golden Bell. I once found that I could use a carebeaner to "safety pin" a tent closed in a rain storm. (because of course the GB tent's zipper was broken...shocker). And also such a "green" option.

jls said...

Way to go. You just never quit using the skills you get at Golden Bell. I once found that I could use a carebeaner to "safety pin" a tent closed in a rain storm. (because of course the GB tent's zipper was broken...shocker). And also such a "green" option.

jls said...

Way to go. You just never quit using the skills you get at Golden Bell. I once found that I could use a carebeaner to "safety pin" a tent closed in a rain storm. (because of course the GB tent's zipper was broken...shocker). And also such a "green" option.

Dawn said...

That's what I call "Going Green!" Al would be so proud.

jls said...

What?? Apparently I thought my comment was really important. Sorry.

John Leavell said...

Kudos on going green with the whole climbing rope gone clothesline idea. Other useful lessons learned at GB that could be applied to just this situation is to not even wash your clothes, just raid your local lost and found box (like the one in the attic of the lodge). Aren't you glad you were a GB staffer. Fun facts from John Leavell