Sep 16, 2006

Grateful

This week was a very good week for Sherry and I. I had applied for a job over 3 weeks ago with a boy's home here in Nampa. I had an interview and was pretty excited about the idea. Over the next few weeks after phone calls weren't returned and I hadn't heard anything I sort of gave up hope and was applying for other things. It has been discouraging not being able to find anything, applying for job after job and really nothing ever coming through. It's hard not to take things personally when it's just rejection over and over. I applied and had an interview to drive a school bus a few days ago and shortly after got a call from the house and the next day I was there filling out my paperwork. I was shocked to hear from them, but so grateful. I'm going to work a night swing shift 5 days per week as a youth counselor. At this house there are around 12 guys the come from corrections and juvenile facilities. It's sort of like a step between juvi and home. The emphasis is lifeskills and empowering the boys to be able to be back in society. I have training next week and the week after where all I'll do is read policies & observe how things go. I'm really excited about it. I know it's going to be a huge challenge with a lot of stuff I've never seen or experienced before. I have a feeling my naive shell will be shattered pretty quickly. Everyone that I've talked to has already told me that if you're not being cussed out and told that you should be fired on a somewhat regular basis then you're not really doing your job. Awesome. It's going to take a huge shift in mindset for me, and I'm excited about it. I think it will be a difficult challenge and a lot to learn. But all that being said, I'm eager for the new adventure and grateful that the Lord provided this opportunity.

It just sort of feels like we've turned a corner in our mindset here with this. It was sort of like a hurdle that we really needed to cross mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually. I keep thinking to myself what sort of attitude I've had in these days. It has been difficult, no doubt about it. But is my joy, happiness, etc, based on my circumstances? I hope not, but can't help but feel like it is. I don't feel like we've "arrived" at some place now because I actually found employment. Nothing's changed, really, if you think about it. Or has it? I wonder and don't have a real answer. One of my friends from around here came over the other day when I found out about the job. We've both been looking for jobs and both recently moved here. So we've talked about it a lot. As we talked I didn't know that to say, really. I hadn't changed. But I had the good fortune of finding something where he has not (yet). I know he will, he's more skilled than I am in pretty much everything. I didn't want to say anything to be encouraging or whatever, because just the day before I was equally annoyed when people tried to chime in with their two cents about job searches. All I can say is that if I found a job, so will he. And we'll go on being friends just like always, whether employed or not.

So I've reached no conclusions in my mind at all. All I know is that many prayers have been answered and I'm grateful for a job that I'm excited about. I've a lot to learn, but am eager to do so. Thanks for your prayers, if you are reading this and have been praying for me. They have been felt and I am very thankful.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Luke! We are so excited for your new position! Sounds like you may have some "commonalities" with Jana and Aaron in their positions--to some extent! Aaron always has some new story about his job, but he is in a more severe place. Jana might have the most in common!

We'll be excited to hear how things go! Saw your Mom and Dad yesterday---she's the one that told me about your job and the blog!

Remember--we all love you guys! Give hugs to Sherrie and Brek! Gavin misses her---and so do we!

Love--Jacque