This is a picture of Pastor Elvin Diaz of Arequipa, Peru. I had the priveledge of

meeting Elvin on my trip to Peru last June. He is 26 years old and pastors one of the Nazarene Churches. When we were there Elvin worked every day with us at the District Center construction site. We got to talk a lot and getting to know this brother was by far the highlight of my trip. Elvin is like no other person I've ever met. His has a heart for ministry and loves the people he ministers to. His commitment to the Gospel and the Kingdom is like no other I've met. His heart is full of compassion and tenderness. In this picture with him is his fiance, Ruth Carolina. In the past few weeks I have stumbled upon MSN messenger again after a few years of not ever signing on. To my suprise, I have had the chance to talk with Elvin on several occasions already. Our conversations consist of brief comments in my broken spanish and his broken english. We use translation websites, and manage to get by. In the short week I spent with Elvin he changed my life completely. He gave me a new perspective on life, loving others, and ministry. I can only hope and pray

that one day our paths might cross again. Until then we will continue to email, chat, and pray for one another. If you would pray for Elvin and Ruth Carolina I would appreciate it so much, and so would they. He has a true vision for his church and for his community. South Peru is a difficult area for ministy, and he is on the front lines loving others with Christ's love and compassion. I hope that I can one day be like him. He is truly one of a kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment