A while back I was introduced to the game of frisbee golf. At first I thought it was ok, not a bad way to walk around the park. I sucked at throwing frisbees, so it wasn't really that big of a thrill. When we'd go we would see these guys out on the course carrying a bag with them packed full of like 20 different discs. These hard core golfers promptly became the butt of all our jokes. Why on earth would you need more than one? A driver disc? Mid range? Approach? Putter? It was pure craziness. Why don't you just get a stupid frisbee and throw it? A few weeks ago a few friends and I went out to play at Ann Morrison Park in Boise and met one of those hard core guys we liked to make fun of. He was alone and asked to play with us. He no joke had probably 25 discs in his bag, a towel to wipe them off when they got wet or muddy, and a nice side pocket for his water bottle. So here's us walking around with our one or two discs, fetching them out of the water every hole and trying not to look like idiots in front of him. As the round went on he educated us on the finer points of the game, the big differences between the discs and how some play to strengths and others are worse for certain sorts of thowing motions. Wow... I now am a lover of the game and last time we played we all have 3 or 4 discs, being carried around in bags. We frequent the Innova (disc brand name) web site and see which discs would fit our game best. I guess I wouldn't mind being one of those guys that new players make fun of. It's a lot of fun, after all. I'm such a hypocrite! But that's ok. I just want to be like this cool guy in the picture. I bet he carries around a bag with a water pouch, too.
Sep 7, 2006
The New Love of My Life
A while back I was introduced to the game of frisbee golf. At first I thought it was ok, not a bad way to walk around the park. I sucked at throwing frisbees, so it wasn't really that big of a thrill. When we'd go we would see these guys out on the course carrying a bag with them packed full of like 20 different discs. These hard core golfers promptly became the butt of all our jokes. Why on earth would you need more than one? A driver disc? Mid range? Approach? Putter? It was pure craziness. Why don't you just get a stupid frisbee and throw it? A few weeks ago a few friends and I went out to play at Ann Morrison Park in Boise and met one of those hard core guys we liked to make fun of. He was alone and asked to play with us. He no joke had probably 25 discs in his bag, a towel to wipe them off when they got wet or muddy, and a nice side pocket for his water bottle. So here's us walking around with our one or two discs, fetching them out of the water every hole and trying not to look like idiots in front of him. As the round went on he educated us on the finer points of the game, the big differences between the discs and how some play to strengths and others are worse for certain sorts of thowing motions. Wow... I now am a lover of the game and last time we played we all have 3 or 4 discs, being carried around in bags. We frequent the Innova (disc brand name) web site and see which discs would fit our game best. I guess I wouldn't mind being one of those guys that new players make fun of. It's a lot of fun, after all. I'm such a hypocrite! But that's ok. I just want to be like this cool guy in the picture. I bet he carries around a bag with a water pouch, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment