Jan 3, 2007

No creative title comes to mind

I've very much lost motivation to write anything on here over the last few weeks. We had a good Christmas with both my wife and my families. Her family few us down to meet them in Arkansas (yep, Arkansas) and we spent a few days down there. They're not from Arkansas but it was designated the family meeting spot this year. I was pleasantly surprised about how it was down there. It seemed to me much like eastern Oklahoma and southeast Kansas. I guess this is because it's the same area of the country and it touches those two locations. Duh. I must say that one of my favorite things in my life is spending time with Sherry's family. They are so awesome and I look forward to it so much. Her brother and sister in law are so much fun to be with and I hope one day we can live closer. He lived with us one summer working with me at church and it was such a blast.

Not sure where to go with my thoughts today. Sherry wrote a list of great things (Franklin Avenue, see link) that happened in 2006 and for the most part I'd have to say ditto to it all. We were sitting and talking as we do so much and it really hit us that we'd like to forget this past year for the most part. There were some great times for sure and it'd be sin not to remember them fondly, but it just seems like for the most part I hope that 2007 brings better times. Better times, or at least the spiritual growth needed to handle things better and more positively. Maybe that's a better way to look at it.

If I had a resolution it would be to keep growing and taking steps forward. I see the danger in myself of comparing my life, talents, circumstances, and lot with others. This is a dangerous trend for me. The Lord has really been challenging me to simply be me and to let other people be other people. I want to embrace who I am in it's fullness and let God do what He wants with it. Whatever that is and looks like has got to be far better than trying to imitate the successes of others and thinking that what they do is the only route to obedience and happiness. It's not. My head knows that but my heart needs to embrace it.

Another resolution is to stop eating Little Caesar's pizza. We got one last night and I'm still feeling the effects. Sure they're cheap and taste like a slice of golden heaven, but it tore me up. No good at all.

My brother in law got me a cd by a band called Leeland. It's good. They're good.

That's all I can muster today. Hope that everyone is doing well.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I don't want to forget 2006, for obvious reasons.
I'm sorry you've had a tough year; hope 2007 will be much better.

Dawn said...

Sounds good to me!! Good thoughts. I miss you guys so much!

Anna said...

Oh, and Leeland is amazing, no doubt.

Kristen said...

I really hope 2007 is a better year for you guys. We love you and miss you!