Aug 14, 2006

Nan

Since before I married into Sherry's family I have been completely blown away at the relationship they all have with their grandmother, Nan. Sherry's brother, sisters, cousins, parents, aunt & uncle are so tight nit and every bit of it was centered around Nan. Sherry & her brother grew up many years with her, spending endless hours at her house in Bethany, Oklahoma. When I first met Nan after Sherry & I began dating, I fell in love with her. She had the most beautiful spirit. So funny, so humble, so hard-working, and so driven. She never stopped moving, never stopped doing things for others. I remember in those early days leading up to our wedding the thought dawned on me that one day I would probably have to go through the pain of her passing. I expected it to be in the long distant future.

We just returned from driving to Oklahoma City and back for Nan's funeral. It was hard, very hard. Nan loved me like I was her own grandson. I know this because she told me over and over again. She accepted me with open arms and the loving spirit that only those close to her could really understand. This weekend was difficult for the family. The loss is great. But God's grace was evident and continues to minister. I'm so glad I could be there with my 2nd family.

While at the burial I had the chance to see the graves of Nan & Pop's three children. One died the day after birth, one after six months, and one at five years. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child. The thought haunts me at times as to what we would do if something happend to Breklinn. Nan lost three children. I don't claim to know how those years were for her and Pop, how they grieved and somehow moved on, but they did. Nan left a legacy of what it looks like to love deeply. Nothing was more important than family and serving the Lord in humility. She was honored with over 400 people in attendance at her funeral. I'll never forget it. I'm glad to have been loved by Vivian Lucile Chambers and to be part of her family. I'm grateful for how she impacted Sherry's life. I'm grateful for how she impacted my life.

Nan stood only 4' 11'' but in my eyes towered over the rest of us. I hope and pray I can be half the person she was.

No comments: